"Give Voice" Postcard Project
The “Give Voice” Postcard Project is a grassroots, multi-state, arts advocacy initiative organized by Eileen Jeng. Having occurred in New York, New Mexico, Illinois, and North Carolina, among other states, this nationwide postcard writing project has the potential to change the current political landscape. 40 artists have created postcards that would be sent to our Federal Senators and Representatives at their district addresses. By sending these postcards, our voices would be heard, and we could help protect the arts, culture, environment, women’s rights, our civil liberties, healthcare, DACA recipients, and hurricane victims, as well as address many other important issues.
Postcards are available online in the STORE. "Give Voice" culminated in a revelatory exhibition of artist cards and works at LMAKbooks+design from July 20-28. I hope you let your voice be heard throughout the duration of this administration and its policies.
Michael Alan, Janine Antoni, Trudy Benson, Jason Bereswill, Zoë Buckman and Natalie Frank, Amanda Church, Zoe Crosher, Kevin Curran, David Dixon, Amy Feldman, Ben Godward, Justin Brice Guariglia, Jane LaFarge Hamill, Young Sun Han, Rachel Hayes, Jason Lazarus, Shaun Leonardo, Greg Lindquist, Natasha Mayers, Riad Miah, Joe Nanashe, Katherine Newbegin, Clayton Porter, Nathlie Provosty, Armita Raafat, Luisa Rabbia, Erika Ranee, David Reed, Daniel Rich, Alexis Rockman, Rachel Selekman, Rudy Shepherd, Edra Soto, Meg Stein, Dannielle Tegeder, Karen Tompkins, Sebastian Vallejo, Julia von Eichel, and Saya Woolfalk
Nationwide Committee (in formation)
Jackie Maman (Chicago, IL - May 21), Clayton Porter (Santa Fe, NM @ THE Magazine - May 21), Meg Stein (Durham, NC - June 24), Herman Milligan (Minneapolis, MN - date TBA)
President Trump's budget proposal for FY18 (October 2017 – September 2018) would imperil key programs that sustain the arts community and continue to threaten the future of the National Endowment for the Arts, National Endowment for the Humanities, Corporation for Public Broadcasting, Institute of Museum and Library Services, and many other independent agencies.
Despite these egregious budget cut proposals, the House Appropriations Committee approved the FY 2018 budget, which includes funding of $145 million for both the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities. This is still $5 million below the fiscal year 2017 level for each Endowment. The FY 18 budget has not been finalized, and we need to continue voicing our concerns.
Contacting our Federal Senators and Representatives at their district addresses is the one of the most effective ways to get our voices heard. The goal of sending these extraordinary images is to have officials to pay attention to the importance of the arts, culture, environment, women’s rights, our civil liberties, and many other concerns. The combination of these works and participants’ personal stories across the nation would be incredibly inspirational and impactful. After all, there is strength in numbers.
Proceeds from sales support the National Assembly of State Arts Agencies (NASAA), Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), or Planned Parenthood—a cause of the artist's choice.
Postcards are sold in packs of 10, along with a blank card, stamps, and district addresses of your state's Federal Senators and Representatives. Assorted packs and signed postcards are also available. For inquiries, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A list of the Federal Officials by state and a link to locate their district addresses are posted below as well.
Postcard writing events took place at LMAKbooks+design at 298 Grand Street in New York, Chicago, and Santa Fe on May 21 and in Durham, NC on June 24. See photos on the Give Voice Postcard Project Facebook page.
The "Give Voice" Postcard Project traveled to Beacon, NY on Saturday, September 9. The event was hosted by Nick Page, Frits Zernike, and David Dixon at 2 Way Brewing Co. at 18 West Main Street.
The next event will take place at Gowanus Open Studios in Brooklyn from October 21 - 22! Stay tuned for upcoming events in other cities.
If you would like to be in touch with a Nationwide Committee member in Chicago, Santa Fe, or Durham, please email email@example.com.
If you are interested in hosting a local event and would like place a bulk order of postcards, please be in touch. If you already have postcards, feel free to grab those and write. Our voices need to be heard!
DETAILS FOR POSTCARD WRITING
List of Federal Senators and Representatives by State
Locate your Federal Senators and Representatives' District Addresses
Facts and Figures
- 80 Programs That Would Lose Federal Funding Under Trump's Proposed Budget Plan (Bloomberg, March 16, 2017)
- Trump Budget Would Cut E.P.A Science Programs and Slash Cleanups (The New York Times, May 19, 2017)
- Trump's proposed budget sets up an 'epic battle' over government spending (Business Insider, May 22, 2017)
- Trump's Latest Budget Proposal Once Again Targets NEA for Elimination (Artsy, May 23, 2017)
- Here's How Congress Could Act to Save DACA (NPR, September 6, 2017)
List of Bills and Executive Orders (115th Congress, 2017-2018)
- H.R.1628 - American Health Care Act of 2017. Title I, Sec. 103, states: "For one year, certain federal funds may not be made available to states for payments to certain family planning providers (e.g., Planned Parenthood Federation of America)."
- H.R. 244 - Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017
- S.661 - CREATE Act of 2017. Introduced by Senator Tom Udall (D- NM) to assist entrepreneurs, support development of the creative economy, and encourage international cultural exchange, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 3354 - Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2018
- S.1615 - Dream Act of 2017. Introduced by Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Dick Durbin (D-IL), Jeff Flake (R-AZ) and Chuck Schumer (D-NY)
- H.R.3591 - American Hope Act of 2017. Sponsored by Representative Luis V. Gutierrez (D-IL-4)
- H.R.1468 - Recognizing America's Children Act. Sponsored by Representative Carlos Curebelo (R-FL-26)
- H.R.496 - BRIDGE Act. Sponsored by Representative Mike Coffin (R-CO-6)
(More coming soon)
"Give Voice" Exhibition at LMAKbooks+design from July 20 - 28
Selected works are available. Proceeds support the National Assembly of State Arts Agencies (NASAA), Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), and Planned Parenthood. Contact Eileen Jeng at firstname.lastname@example.org with inquiries.